Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Trying New Things (or better yet new food)

Yesterday I went and tried a new restaurant with my sister, Elizabeth. I don't usually go new places which was evident during this trip because I was wide eyed and looking at everything. It dawned on me that I really don't try new places all that often. Then as we talked my sister reminded me that I had tried two new places this month.

The first new eatery I tried was for lunch with my sister (we eat a lot together when she is off a day from work) and was in Burbank. The place is called Dino's Pizza. It is pretty much a hole in the wall type shack on a corner. They offer pizza and other yummy items I'm sure. We had pizza and some amazing garlic cheese bread. I love pizza; I also believe that it should be one of the main food groups. Seriously, it has grains (the crust), vegetables (the tomato sauce), dairy (the cheese), and then any other assortments of meat, vegetable and cheese options. See a major food group all on its own. We had a delicious pepperoni pizza and I would totally go back again. There two downsides. The first is the parking, the lot is shared with a mechanic so when both are open the parking is very limited. Second, there is not a huge seating area if you plan to eat there. We went late in the afternoon so it wasn't too bad but I can imagine that it could get packed at busy times of the day. Here's their website if you want to check them out or if you are local go try it Dino's Pizza Burbank.

Yesterday was another opportunity to try a new place. We live close to a shopping center that has two restaurants. One of them is called Cici's Café. This place always has people in the parking lot waiting on the weekends. We were lucky today as there wasn't a crowd and got seated quickly. The menu was incredible, pages and pages of various types of pancakes, French toast, waffles, crepes, and many other foods. I know you're thinking wow what an opportunity to branch out and try something new. Not quite. I had French toast that had cinnamon and powder sugar, pretty much regular French toast with a side of bacon. Elizabeth opted for the traditional pancakes with a side of original café sausage. The French toast was delicious. The pieces of bread were huge, I melted butter on the toast, poured the syrup and dug in. To say it was great doesn't describe it. You have to try it. I can't say anything about the pancakes because I didn't try them, but they were as huge as my French toast. The bacon was like any ordinary bacon. The sausage my sister got was good though.

Finally last night was another attempt at trying something new. My mom, Tony and I went to try Dickey's Barbecue Pit. It was weird to say the least. I went in expecting a sit down restaurant but was surprised to see it was more like a Subway. You start at one end and tell the person what you want and they reach into a large refrigerator and pull out your choice of meat and open the plastic wrap. I had a two meat meal and tried the sliced beef brisket and old recipe polish sausage. The sides I chose were macaroni and cheese and fried onion tanglers. The brisket was OK and the polish sausage was on the spicy side. The macaroni and cheese was just bad and the onions were good. Overall, it was interesting, but I'm not sure I'll go back real soon. Depends on how adventurous I feel. Go ahead and check out their website and give them a try Dickey's Barbecue Pit.

Now I'm wondering where I will try next time. Of course not sure how long it will be before I try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment