I have waited quite awhile to write about this movie. I saw it over a week ago. I had to give myself time to come down from the heady high I was in. So before I go any further let me give you some history about me.
I've been told that when I was little I saw a commercial for CATS (the musical) and said I want to do that. I took dance classes, voice lessons, and was even a theater major in college. I had done a lot of shows when I was little all of various kinds. In college I was more behind the scenes then in front of an audience. It never bothered me. One of my favorite experiences in college was being a stage manager for a play. I was absolutely in heaven with what path I had chosen.
In my early preteen and teen years I saw numerous musicals. From CATS to The Who's Tommy. I loved everyone of them. I even saw The Phantom of the Opera on stage in Los Angeles over 100 times (I loved the music and the story). I never got to see Les Miserables . . yet. So for me this film was my first time to experience the action with the music. I know it can't be compared because film is far different from live theater so I won't even go there. I just felt you should know my history.
The opening of the film is when Jean Valjean is in prison, him and the others are pulling a badly damaged ship into a dry dock for repairs. This is also the first time we see Javert overseeing the prisoners. From there we see him released but marked as a prisoner on parole. He would never know a life without this mark. He travels and ends up in a church, taken in by the priest. The first act of kindness he has received. A major turning point in his life. The best part about this is that Colm Wilkinson is the priest, he has portrayed Valjean in numerous cities. A real treat, at least for me.
I could go on with the whole story but I don't want to be a bore. Overall the story is one of rebuilding a life, making a promise, keeping that promise, and just paying forward all the kindness that Valjean was shown that one night at the church. At least that's what he had hoped until his identity becomes known and he is once again on the run from the authorities to keep his promise to Fantine.
Hugh Jackman was amazing! If you saw him host the Oscars with Anne Hathaway then you know this man is talented. He brought the character to life, you always could see in his eyes and body language that he remembered where he came from and where he wanted to be. What he hoped he could be to Cosette. His voice is crystal, overwhelming with emotion, and beautiful. He is reminiscent of the actors that came before him, those that could sing, dance and act.
Anne Hathaway was extremely beautiful even at the lowest point of her life, her Fantine exuded brilliance, life, despair and pride. I saw her interviewed by Jon Stewart on the Daily Show before I had seen the movie and she discussed the filming of her song I Dreamed a Dream. It couldn't be more perfect that way it is presented in the film. She makes you feel that passion that any mother would have to protect her child at all cost.
I heard of some instances where critics did not enjoy or like Russell Crowe's performance as Javert. I would disagree with them. He is the part. He is authoritative, passionate and is duty bound to his position in the government. I thoroughly enjoyed his performance, his voice dark, heavy and gravelly. I loved his rendition of Stars. I think he was perfectly cast and fulfilled his role as well as many others he has had.
I only mention the three, but truly everyone in the film is incredible. It could not have been cast any better. It brought together many of the talented performers in Hollywood that have the ability to hold their own and come together to be a cohesive cast that brought this musical from the stage to the arena of film.
I'm still hoping that one day I will get to see Les Miserables on the stage and I'm sure I will the next time it is in Los Angeles.
And as I always do, here is a link to the IMDB page of the movie Les Miserables.
No comments:
Post a Comment