I leave my house by 6:30 am to start my drive. I have to leave that early in anticipation of messy traffic but if there's not then I get to work about an hour early. Most of my commute involves a normal three to four lane freeway (highway for my east coasters). At a certain point the freeway expands to about six lanes, one of these is a carpool lane.
Not to long ago I bought a low emissions vehicle and have special decals that allow me to use the carpool lane even though I'm single occupant vehicle. Having this helps tremendously with this long commute I have.
Today as I merged into the carpool lane another vehicle merged in behind me. This SUV then tailgated me all the way to the carpool interchange with another freeway. Rather than taking the ramp to the other freeway as I thought was going to happen, he took the chance to go around me and almost hit a retaining wall in the process. As the brake lights reflected in front of me when he hit the backed up traffic in the carpool lane I had to chuckle.
This is my musing now that you have the backstory. When did the carpool lanes become the equivalent of the Autobahn in Germany? There are signs everywhere about the speed limit but that doesn't seem to apply to some that use the carpool lane. People will use the lane and then proceed to speed down the road at 80 miles per hour like it's nothing. It drives me nuts. If the carpool lane was meant for impatient people of two or more than I think that's what it would have been called. I don't drive slow I'm doing between 65 and 70 miles per hour myself but for others that isn't fast enough in a lane meant for people of two or more in one vehicle.
That was this morning. My drive home was more about the music I was listening to than crazy drivers.
My new spiffy low emissions car also has satellite radio. My preset stations in order are: Prime Country, Y2Kountry, 90s on 9, Highway, 80s on 8, and Alt Nation. With that line up it doesn't sound like there could be something that amusing but just wait. It all started because Highway started playing a song I don't really care for so I start the task of channel surfing my presets.
The song I heard on 90s on 9 made me skip it and then go back to it. What song could have that kind of draw? How about a song that when I saw the year of 1990 my brain screamed, "What?! 1990?! I was 10 when this song was being played on the radio? What has my sister done to me?" OK maybe not that last part about my sister, although she did have an influence on my musical choices for awhile. I mean come on who doesn't want to be like their older sibling.
So this song that made me go kind of nutty, it was by a group called Digital Underground and the song itself is called "Humpty Dance". Yes that song. I was grooving to a song about doing the humpty hump and when I was 9 or 10 probably had no frigging clue what it was actually about. I was just kind of awestruck by this realization. Then the next song came on.
I don't feel as strange about this one except for the fact that I thought it was only a theme song for a television show. I didn't know it was actually a real song by a real group. I'm sure if I tell you the show that it is the theme music for you will start singing the catchy chorus. That show is Cops. Yes "bad boys, bad boys, watcha going to do?" Of course the only part of the song I knew was the part that goes, "Bad boys, bad boys whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you? Bad boys, bad boys whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?" So not just a theme song for a popular television series, but a real song by a real group, for a real album. Who knew?
Just like that my trip of the 90s was over when I switched back to the Highway for my country music fix. But I was still kind of hung up on what just transpired on my radio. Shocking! No not really but it kind of felt that way.
That's it. My musings about my drive today. Tomorrow is Friday maybe some new things will assualt my brain. I can't wait to see.


No comments:
Post a Comment