Saturday, February 7, 2015

I Have A Strange Condition

I wrote this post sometime near the end of last year and never published it. I have come back to it time and time again with the thought of publishing it and haven't. Today I have decided to share this. - Spaz


Hello to my blog readers at least the ones that stick around as I take months off in between my posts. I wanted to be more consistent but have found that I don't have much to talk about. 

I want to share something that's very personal about my person. I've decided to share this because well it is a part of who I am and my last episode (I hate to call it that) banged me up pretty good. Some of my friends who I have shared this with know and others don't. Most of my family knows. 

I have a medical condition known as Vasovagal Syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) . Try saying that three times fast. What is vasovagal syncope? To put it simply, "Vasovagal syncope is one of the most common causes of fainting. It occurs when your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress.
The vasovagal syncope trigger causes a sudden drop in your heart rate and blood pressure. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, which results in a brief loss of consciousness." Definition from MayoClinic.org
I had my first episode when I was young probably pre-teen I'm thinking. It isn't consistent and I can go years without it ever happening. I lived in CT for 3 years and it never happened once. Other times it can happen more than once in a year like it has this year. The first one was my fault, I thought I would watch my sister get stitches and that turned out to be a bad idea. I blame that on my curiosity because I like to watch strange things and learn stuff. I learned I won't watch anyone get stitches again. The most recent occurrence wasn't because of anything, it just happened. 
It really isn't as bad as it sounds. I do get symptoms before it happens so I do get some warning although I wish it was more than just a few seconds or minutes. My symptoms include getting hot really fast and then having cold sweats, tunnel vision, and lightheadedness. None of which are any fun but they are the warning signs that something may happen because sometimes the feeling passes. The only serious problem with this condition is that I could faint and hit my head which could cause some major damage. I'm not superstitious so I'm not going to knock on wood but you go ahead and feel free if you need to. 
The majority of the time I'm fine and living life normally, well as normally as I can, I do have my quirks. It has never happened while I've been driving but happens mostly at home and one time at work. People ask what they can do if it happens; I tell them if possible get me laying down with my feet elevated, talk to me even if you ask silly questions, and just be patient as it could take awhile for me to fully come about again. I will and I'll bounce back as if nothing has happened. 
I'm working with my doctor and she will most likely be prescribing a medication to help but really there isn't much medical science can do. It is one of those things that I have had to learn to live with. It doesn't interfere with my life and I refuse to let it ever come to that. I also don't want anyone to ever treat me differently. This is a part of who I am and I am one amazing person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment