Thursday, January 2, 2014

Guilty Wives by James Patterson and David Ellis

2014 has started off good so far, I'm on day 2 and can't complain. I'm hoping this year to read a bit more then I have in past years and I started on that journey at the end of last year by actually picking up a book! Holy cow. I love to read, I always have since I was a kid, it just kind of ebbs for me now once in awhile. I want rediscover my passion for books (yes the paper kind that you have to hold open with two hands sometimes).

I have been on a site called Goodreads for a few years now, but never used a lot of it. It has a place to mark books you want to read, are currently reading, or have read. You can also make special "shelves" so I have one for my favorite books (hint there's only two on there right now). It also offers polls, giveaways, quotes, and you can follow authors and friends. I signed up through Facebook, but you can also sign up directly on the site and then connect Facebook to it. The site allows you to rate and review books and once you have 20 books rated (not reviewed) the site offers recommendations.

I found out from a friend that the site also offers a reading challenge, how many books do you intend to read this year and a progress tracker. I've challenged myself to read 25 books in 2014 and I finished my first one. Yes it counts because I finished it in the new year. So that means one down and twenty four more to go. I can do this. I have lots of books to read. I have already picked out my next book, The Shining by Stephen King. I got it as a Christmas present from a friend that shares my love of all things scary (although I'm sure she laughed when I ran out of the monsters thing at Universal Studios last summer). OK so I like scary, but not haunted houses, haunted corn mazes, or anything else where someone can jump out and scare the daylights out of me. At least not yet, I'm going to work on that too, enjoying the fun and not being so scared by the stuff that I can see everyday on my TV.

Anyhow, I finished Guilty Wives by James Patterson and David Ellis and shared my thoughts and opinions on Goodreads. I realized that I also needed to share it with my blog so here is my review of the book that is also on Goodreads. As usual I try not to give anything away and keep it simple. Nothing is worse then a spoiled ending, unless you like that kind of thing, then I will be happy to spoil any ending for you including movies. Here it is my review, if we can call it that, of Guilty Wives:

This was my first James Patterson book. I picked it up at the bookstore because the cover said, "If you've never read JAMES PATTERSON, start here." The book was interesting and it kept my attention. It is divided into four separate "books" that cover a different time frame of the story, this made it flow really well as I could tell when the action was happening and understand the passage of time. I enjoyed the lead character, Abbie, who was a tough, don't mess with me woman. She never gave up or gave in and I found that pretty cool based on what her character was going through. The book did drag during "Book" two so I had to finish that quickly to not lose interest, the chapters focus on the criminal trial the wives endure. It was just kind of boring and as I pushed through I knew I could not possibly be disappointed. In "Book" four is when all the twists and the resolution appear. I never expected the book to end the way it did and was pleasantly surprised with it. I had my suspicions but then I would read something to make me second guess and in the end I was proven that my suspicions at one point were right on track. Overall, it was a fun read and the fact that it all happens in France is kind of cool since I've never been there. It has me interested in reading more of Patterson's works.

No comments:

Post a Comment