Monday, October 7, 2013

I Am Legend (2007)

Well it has been awhile since I have written about a movie I watched and while I have seen some, I just didn't. My life has turned upside down a couple times in the last year and so keeping up with my blog wasn't a priority. But I am going to try and do this more and if you don't like it don't read it.

On Saturday night I settled in to watch I Am Legend with my mom and Tony. I knew some about the film, but not a whole lot. Yes I knew Will Smith was in it. I knew it was set in New York, that Smith's character was like the last man on Earth, and that was really it. Silly me, it was way more than that.

The movie freaked me out, had me in suspense, and left me shaking my head at the end. Considering this movie is classified as drama, sci-fi, and thriller; it lives up to those classifications for sure because those three words are this movie.

The drama aspect is created by the location of the film, the lack of noise, and Smith's character. When I think of New York, I think of a huge loud city, filled with noises of all kinds. This film has none of that. There's no noise in New York except for the sounds of a single vehicle, a dog bark, and the wild animals that run through every so often. It's creepy and makes the scenes intense. New York is not a silent city and seeing this in the film just makes the movie powerful.

I have to talk about the sci-fi and thriller aspects together because well they work in tandem. I got the movie thinking it would be scary, and in parts it was. But the other part that was even scarier was the idea that what happened in the movie could happen to the population of the world. We hear all the time of major illness outbreaks killing thousands, what's not to say that a vaccine couldn't do the same thing, or mutate people. So yeah, pretty freaky in my eyes. At one point, Tony asked when do we get to kill Emma Thompson, and I said she was probably already dead. Either way, the things in the film are freaky and I wouldn't want to be around to see one in person.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. The ending did leave me shaking my head though. To get all that way, realize the solution, and then what happens. I'm trying not to give everything away, but if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. I think however, seeing the final final resolution is rewarding. That made me grin to know it wasn't for nothing.

On a different note, I'm going to try and watch as many scary movies as I can this much between baseball postseason games. The Dodgers are on my TV right now trying to win this game against Atlanta and move on to the NLCS. But when I can I will. I love having Netflix and if I watch them fast enough I can get in quite a few. Next in my queue to get is Lady in White, a film I remember from my childhood that was scary. I'll have to wait and see if it still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment