Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Beginning of New Adventures (May contain spoilers of the movie Star Trek)

**Originally published on the blog Do You Smell Guinea Pigs?**

Last night I had a blast seeing Star Trek.  We saw it at the AMC on the IMAX screen.  The sound was awesome at times vibrating the seats.  The picture was awesome on the large screen.  The whole experience was phenomenal.  
 
I am the first to admit that I have been a Star Trek (ST) fan since I was a little girl.  My fascination with the show began when I watched old episodes of the original series and then carried on to Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG).  I tend to enjoy the characters that are logical and look for a way to express their feelings.  So I love Spock and Data.  I will admit that I fell out of love with ST after TNG ended and I couldn't get into Deep Space Nine (DS9) or Voyager.  I never did watch Enterprise and I kick myself for that because I love Scott Bakula.
 
So back to the new movie.  I thought that the story was great.  I know that the show tended to use time travel a lot as a plot point and they do that in the film but in a great way.  While the action of the film revolves around a Romulan vessel coming through a black hole that is also a time warp to destroy Vulcan, the time travel in the film will allow for future movies if everyone involved is game.  History has now been changed for our heros back in the early years, who knows what can happen.  Granted I don't think the persona of Kirk will ever stop being a womanizer or a hot head that is full of himself.  I really want to see another movie that will explore the relationship between Spock and Uhura.  I loved at the end of the movie that Sarek admitted to Spock that the reason he married his mother was because he loved her.  He is human enough to admit that he had feelings which Spock has fought all his life. All I'm saying is that Uhura and Spock make an interesting story line.
 
I hope that there will be another movie with this young group of actors.  They did a wonderful job making each well known person their own.  The whole movie was an original based on an iconic television show that has captured many generations.  My hope is that this resurgence of Star Trek will capture another generation or two so that it lives on.  
 
Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment